When this feature is enabled, a special box labeled Quick S-T-R is provided for the entry. Then, if the document reads:
"The NW quarter of the SW quarter of Section 36, Township 104N, Range 31E"
The user can key the following into the Quick S-T-R box:
NW SW 36 104N 31E
Furthermore, if all the Townships in the county have a direction of North and all the Ranges in the county have a direction of East, then the above description can be entered as:
NW SW 36 104 31
And the system will add the N and E for North and East, respectively.
This speed entry feature is set up as follows:
- Go into the halFILE Administrator and select the File_Base Edit menu.
- Select the database for which the option should be set up, then select the Tools-Options menu.
- Go to the Quick S-T-R tab and check the “Enable Quick S-T-R” checkbox.
- Select the appropriate Township and Range direction options.
Once this is saved, the Search and Index forms will include the Quick S-T-R box. The operation works as follows:
- On the main form when you reach the Township-Range field you can press F2 or click the question mark to pop up the Township-Range Base Edit form.
- The Quick S-T-R field will be highlighted in yellow and the cursor will be positioned in the box, ready for data entry.
- Enter the quarters, section, township and range with a space between each element. Example: NW SW NE SE 15 104N 31E
- For Index, click or tab to the ADD button to validate the entry and add it to the Index Information box.
- For Search, click or tab to the ADD ALL LEVELS button to validate the entry and add it to the Index Information box.
If you do a lot of Section Land data entry, you should give the Quick S-T-R feature a try!